Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DIY Word wall organization



Yesterday I went to a training on Word Walls, which was really helpful because it taught me two main important things. First, your word wall does not have to be the huge traditional A -Z word wall across the whole classroom and second, your word wall needs to be interactive to help students especially ELL's internalize the meaning. 

With this in mind I saw an idea that I think is fantastic: A word "wall" (more of an anchor chart) on butcher paper attached to a hanger. I will post pictures of mine once I make them.

I made a holder for these "word walls" out of PVC pipe. I went to home depot and bought 9 small pipes, 6 90 degree elbow fittings, 2 Tee fittings and 2 coupling fittings. I built it while I was in the store to make sure everything fit. Ben cut the bottom two pipes so that the base was not too large, you don't have to do this you can just buy two extra pipes. I needed two whole rolls of duct tape to decorate the pvc pipes.

The cost was about $50, it could have been much cheaper had I not bought the colorful duct tape and saw to cut the pipe.

The purpose of this is to store the old vocabulary units in a way that is still accessible to students.

My puppies graduated today from beginner class today!

No comments:

Post a Comment